International Applications

Contact Admissions

CMCC has been recognised as a Designated Educational Institution by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Training, and Universities. This designation allows international students holding a valid Study Permit to enrol in the Doctor of Chiropractic degree program and postgraduate residency programs.

Travel documents and customs

*Please note that the following summary information is sourced from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and is subject to change. Prospective students should ensure that they are apprised of the most accurate information regarding studying in Canada by visiting

Anyone wishing to study in Canada who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident must obtain a Study Permit and in some cases a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) before entering Canada. Prospective students should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate as soon as they receive their offer of admission.

You will need the following documentation (at minimum) in order to begin your application for a study permit:

  • offer of admission from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College which includes information about the expected time needed to complete the program;
  • evidence of having adequate funds; (e.g. Cost of tuition, plus at least $20,635 per year for single students; and additional funds for each additional spouse or dependent. (Note: although these amounts may be sufficient to obtain a Study Permit, most students find that they do not sufficiently cover the cost of living in Toronto.)
  • proof of medical clearance may be needed to enter Canada, depending on country of residence.
  • any other documentation requested by the CIC issuing office.

Based on the provision of this documentation, Canadian immigration authorities will issue a Study Permit and where necessary, a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa). This process, in particular obtaining the medical clearance, can be very time consuming. You should therefore apply for a Study Permit as soon as you receive notification of your acceptance from CMCC.Under no circumstances should you leave for Canada until you have received confirmation from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College that you have been admitted and until you have obtained your Study Permit approval documents and, if necessary, Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa).

It is not possible to change your immigration status from visitor status to student status while you are resident in Canada. Students who have been studying at a university or college in Canada must ensure that they apply for a new Study Permit that is valid for CMCC before beginning classes.

Embassies and consulates

Where appropriate, international students are encouraged to connect with the embassy or consulate from their home country. Most embassies are located in Ottawa, Ontario (approximately 450km from Toronto), while some countries maintain consular offices in Toronto. For a listing of embassies and consular offices, please visit

Money and finances

Paying your student fees

Most of your student fees will appear on your student account, for which you will receive an invoice. It is important that you are attentive to all fees deadlines in order to avoid late penalties and to maintain your registration status at CMCC. Many students open up a Canadian bank account to pay for fees, but if you need to make your payment from outside of Canada, you may contact the admissions office to obtain wire transfer information.

Banking in Canada

As a first step in researching banking options, talk to your bank in your home country and find out whether they have a branch or partnership branch in Canada. Find out what kind of banking fees are applicable to using Automated Banking Machines (ABM) overseas, transferring funds to international accounts and other services that may be useful. It is also a good idea to alert your credit card company that you will be living abroad for a period of time.

Banks in Canada offer a diversity of services to account holders, including online, teller, and in-person tuition and fee payment options; and direct deposit of refund payments. The following is an alphabetical list of major Canadian Banks you may wish to research:

  • Bank of Montreal (BMO)
  • Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
  • Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)
  • Scotiabank (offers the option of setting up a Canadian bank account before arriving in Canada)
  • TD Canada Trust

The Canadian Bankers Association provides bank specific information on financial information and services for newcomers to Canada.

To set up a new bank account after you arrive in Canada, the bank will require you to show 2 pieces of identification (e.g., passport, study permit, driver's licence), one of which must be photo identification.


CMCC does not have student residences. Most students stay in shared rental accommodation near the campus. The campus is located in the north end of the City of Toronto and is surrounded by beautiful trails and park land. To see a map of CMCC’s location, please see section 'Living in Toronto & Housing'.

CMCC partners with an online rental housing listing service called Places4Students. To view listings for rental housing for CMCC students, please visit

Student Services staff can also help you to identify neighbourhoods and areas of the city that are close to the campus.

Health and health insurance

About Canadian Health Care

Did you know that Canada has a publicly funded universal health care system in which accessibility to medical services for all eligible residents is guaranteed? The delivery of health care in Canada is regulated by the Canada Health Act, which requires that all insured persons have access to health services without having to pay a fee per use of a service. Canadians and Permanent Residents of Canada are covered by a provincial health plan in the province in which they reside; as such, Ontarians are insured and covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

International students from the United States may be interested in learning that the health care system in Canada is largely funded by the public sector, compared to the US where health care facilities are primarily operated by the private sector with a few exceptions (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid, etc.). Generally, essential and basic health care is fully covered in Canada and costs to medical service providers are paid for through income tax funding; patients are not involved in the billing.

A minimal part of the Canadian health care system is operated and funded by the private sector. Services such as dental care, vision care, and prescription drugs are privately funded. Privately funded services are largely insured by employers. For students, their college or university may have an arrangement with a private company.

International Student Health Insurance

To secure access to health services in Ontario, CMCC enrolls all international students in an International Student Health Insurance Plan (IHIP), which is similar to OHIP, and guarantees access to essential medical care for our international students while they study in Ontario. This plan is provided through a third party insurer and ensures that students have their basic medical care covered while at CMCC. The IHIP plan also provides coverage for supplementary health care including vision care and prescription drug coverage. More information on the IHIP plan is available from Student Services.

Health care options for students

CMCC students can receive free chiropractic care at CMCC while enrolled. An ambulatory health care clinic, complementary therapies, and referrals are also available. For more information, please visit the section 'Health, Wellness & Campus Facilities'.

Support for international students

Individual academic and transition advising

The CMCC Registrar will meet with all new international students to provide advising and support to assist with a successful transition to Canada. Advising meetings will be arranged upon the student's arrival in Canada. Furthermore, CMCC offers a one-week Orientation program for all new students – an important opportunity for international students to get settled and learn about their new academic community. International students are invited to visit the Registrar at any time in the Student Services Office.

Support for personal issues and concerns

It is not uncommon in Canada for people to speak with a counsellor when they are experiencing stress or a difficult time. CMCC students also have access to free, confidential personal counselling. Students can see the counsellor for assistance and support with personal matters related to relationships, stress, family matters or personal issues. The Student Counsellor is available by appointment or by drop-in and can be contacted through Student Services.

City of Toronto programs and services

Toronto is Canada's most diverse city and offers a wide range of programs and services to support newcomers and people from around the world. The City of Toronto website contains invaluable information regarding living in the city, city services and support, and health care – and services are available in 140 languages.