252 Bloor St.

Their first task of the Canadian Association of Chiropractors was to find a location for the new educational institute. Early in the summer of 1945 the Meadonia Hotel, located at 252 Bloor St. W. in Toronto , was purchased for immediate possession, and the huge undertaking of converting the 36 bedrooms hotel to college converting the 36 bedrooms hotel to college classrooms within six weeks began. With the ending of the Second World War, and the return of veterans, CMCC began enrolling students. The response was so great that enrolment had to be restricted.

On September 18, 1945, CMCC commenced operation with Dr. J.S. Clubine Acting Dean, Dr. J.A. Henderson, Registrar and Administrator. Faculty included Dr. D.M. Allan, Dr. H.K. Lee, Dr. J.W. Ellison, Dr. A.E. Homewood and Dr. K.B. Kennedy. Though the facilities were inadequate, the students, were mature adults who were sincerely interested in learning. This dedication to CMCC and profession from faculty and students lead to years of extraordinary growth for the institution.

The laying of the cornerstone took place on Thursday, September 19, 1946. Mementoes in the cornerstone included June issue of Reader’s Digest containing an attack on chiropractic, issues of three Toronto newspapers, chiropractic journals and current coins. The stone was laid by Dr.Walter Sturdy, who was introduced by J.S. Clubine as “the man primarily responsible for this entire undertaking”.

Two years after opening CMCC needed to expand. An addition was built to the rear of 252 Bloor St; The three storey brick structure contained four large classrooms, two laboratories, a dissection area and morgue, and an auditorium. It was dedicated as the Henderson Building in September 1947; the original building was converted to a clinic.

Towards the end of the decade, plans had been set to expand the facility. CMCC began acquiring properties behind the school on Prince Arthur Avenue and a fundraising campaign was initiated for a new and modern building. Expansion plans had to be halted in 1959 because of the TTC expropriation of CMCC land to construct a subway station. The dirt, noise and vibration created a poor learning environment and deterred new students from attending CMCC. CMCC took the TTC and the City of Toronto to court to fight for damages. The court case which lasted for seven years and ended in the Supreme Court of Canada awarded partial damages to CMCC. The structural damage caused to the facilities was so great, that in the early 60’s CMCC agreed to trade its downtown properties for two acres of land on Bayview Ave, owned by Mr. Gerhard Moog, a Toronto developer. The site would be used to build a new campus.

1900 Bayview Avenue and 1931 Bayview Avenue Campus

In 1966 plans began to move CMCC to 1900 Bayview Ave. in North York.

On September 21, 1968, the cornerstone of the new building was laid within the 1946 cornerstone.

The dedication ceremony took place on March 8, 1969 with representatives bringing greetings from the US Colleges, professional associations, and from all levels of government. The new campus buildings comprised 54,000 square feet, and housed three attached structures; the Henderson, the Sturdy and the Clubine buildings the Henderson, the Sturdy and the Clubine buildings named in honour of three of the profession’s pioneers. The campus included four classrooms, and laboratories for human dissection, physiology, pathology, microbiology, chemistry, roentgenology and diagnosis. They housed a new library, cafeteria, amphitheatre, student and faculty lounges.

In 1976, CMCC embarked on an expansion program. A new lecture theatre, research lab, radiological lab, student lounge, executive offices, remodelled clinic and large and small technique room with audiovisual facilities were included in the development.

In 1994, the College expanded its facilities yet again to include the AV Weir building at 1931 Bayview Avenue. It housed several of the administrative offices, the research and graduate studies divisions, the bookstore and the library.

6100 Leslie Street Campus

On January 31, 2002 CMCC became proud owner of a new home at 6100 Leslie Street in North York. Following construction of additional space and retrofit of the original building the new campus provides students, faculty and staff with state-of- the-art facilities. The ground breaking ceremony took place in the fall of 2003 with a host of dignitaries.