It all began in 1942 when Dr. Walter D. Sturdy and Dr. John Clubine sent letters to the executives of provincial associations to establish a federal chiropractic association.On January 11, 1943, chiropractors representing the Canadian provinces under leadership of Dr. Walter D. Sturdy from Vancouver, gathered in Ottawa to form the profession’s first national organization, the Dominion Council of Canadian Chiropractors.
Dr. Walter Sturdy was elected President, Dr. John Clubine, Vice-President and John Burton, Secretary.John Burton drew up the constitution and by-laws for the new organization. A federal charter was applied for and obtained in 1943. The Dominion Council of Canadian Chiropractors had three goals; establishing an educational institution in Canada; a strong national organization; and establishing legislation in force for the entire country.
Work began immediately on the first objective. On January 3, 1945, letters patent from the Ontario Provincial Secretary allowed the Dominion Council to create the Canadian Association of Chiropractors, which was granted the authority to establish and conduct schools of chiropractic. The Canadian Association of Chiropractors later changed its name to the Canadian Chiropractic Association. Dr. Sturdy formed a College Committee under the leadership of Dr. John S. Clubine and the rest is history.
The 1946 CMCC Board of Directors included many members of the original Dominion Council. Pictured here are Board members and CMCC officers in meeting; standing (left to right): J.N. Haldeman of Saskatchewan, J.M Gaudet of Quebec, R.O. Mueller (Dean), Douglas V. Hoskins of Ontario, F.B. McIlrea of Manitoba, John S. Clubine (President), Herbert A. Hill of Ontario, C.E. Messenger of Alberta, M. Anderson of Ontario and J.S. Burton, attorney; seated (left to right): J. Henderson (Registrar), Harry Yates, Jack Heatherington, Cecil Clemmer and Samuel Sommacal of Ontario, Douglas Warden (Secretary) and Walter Sturdy (Vice-President)..