Pioneers

John A. Henderson, D.C. graduated from Robbins Chiropractic College (in Sault Ste. Marie) in 1911. He was instrumental in bringing Dr. Ernst Duval from Davenport, Iowa to establish the Canadian Chiropractic College in Hamilton. In 1924, Dr. Henderson was elected president of the Drugless Physicians’ Association in Ontario, and worked to formulate the Drugless Practitioner’s Act of 1925. It was Dr. Henderson who found the Meadonia Hotel, and, along with his wife, spend the summer of 1945 converting the hotel into classrooms. From 1945 to 1950, he served as a registrar and business manager of CMCC. Dr. Henderson was also responsible for the construction of the new facilities in 1947 and a new building erected was dedicated in his honour.

John S. Clubine, D.C. studied at the Canadian Chiropractic College in Hamilton. He helped to establish the Toronto Chiropractic College in 1922, and served as it’s first president. He was elected President of the Ontario Chiropractic Association, a post he held for 15 years. He played a major role in helping establish CMCC and was one of the founding members. He was also the first acting dean of CMCC, and also served as President of Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College Association.

Herbert K. Lee, D.C., F.I.C.C., D.M. (Hon.), Professor Emeritus graduated from the National College of Chiropractic in Chicago in 1941. Dr. Lee was involved in getting the Canadian Memorial College ready for the first class in September of 1945. On September 18, 1945, Dr. Lee taught the first anatomy class “ by default “, when the instructor did not show up. He was Secretary of the Board and also assisted in teaching a technique class. Dr. Lee taught at CMCC for over 57 years, has been involved in the Canadian Chiropractic Historical Association, has written numerous articles and donated many photographs found in the CMCC archives today.

Walter T. Sturdy, D.C. graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1919. In 1920, Dr. Sturdy organized the British Colombia Chiropractic Association. Dr. Walter Sturdy is one of Canada’s most honoured pioneers. His vision and courage were the guiding force behind two historic developments: establishment of the Dominion Council of Canadian Chiropractors in 1943, which later became the Canadian Chiropractic Association, and formation of the committee that established the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College. He was chosen The Dominion Council of Canadian Chiropractors’ first President, and served on the CMCC Board of Directors from 1945 to 1947. Dr. Sturdy was also the first editor of the first Canadian Chiropractic Journal found in 1934.

Herbert J. Vear, D.C. graduated from CMCC in 1949, and joined CMCC as a faculty member in 1957. In 1969 Dr. Vear was appointed Dean, and in 1970 the Chief Administrative Officer, positions he held until 1976. He is now Dean Emeritus. In 1989, he was elected President of the Council on Chiropractic Education (Canada) Inc. Dr. Vear was instrumental in the formation of the Canadian Chiropractic Historical Association in 1993, and continues to contribute historical literature on the profession.

Douglas Brown, D.C. graduated from CMCC in 1955. Dr. Brown was instrumental in forming the “Council on Chiropractic Education (Canada) Inc.” in 1978. From 1982 to 1984 he was the Chairman, CMCC Board of Governors. From 1985 to 1995, the Chairman, Board of Governors Alumni Affairs Committee and founder of Canadian Chiropractic Toastmasters Club. Dr. Brown is also a Founder and President of the Governor’s Club whose donations to CMCC have reached over one million dollars.

C. C. Clemmer, D.C. graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic. He was an active member of the Dominion Council of Canadian Chiropractors and one of the founding fathers of CMCC. He practiced in Toronto for forty-two years. The CMCC library was dedicated In November 1972 the profession honoured Dr. Cecil C. Clemmer for his dedication to chiropractic and named the CMCC Library the “C.C. Clemmer Library”.

Joshua N. Haldeman, D.C. son of Dr. Almeda Haldeman, who was probably Canada’s first chiropractor, graduated from the Palmer School of Chiropractic in 1926. He practiced in Regina for 26 years and as an active member of Saskatchewan Chiropractic Association represented that province when the Dominion Council was formed. He was a member of the first Board of Directors of CMCC and served in the position until 1950.

John Schnick, D.C. graduated from the National Chiropractic College in 1923. He was the only Canadian to serve as President of the National Chiropractic Association (later the ACA). He served for many years as Secretary of the Ontario Chiropractic Association and was the editor of CCA Newsletter. The National Chiropractic Association held its convention in Toronto in 1938 and Dr. Schnick was convention chairman. During convention plans were formulated to erect a statue of D.D. Palmer at Port Perry.

Jean Gaudet, B.A., D.C. graduated from Lincoln Chiropractic College in 1928 and was a founding member of the Dominion Council. He was also a member of the first Board of Directors of CMCC. For many years, Dr. Gaudet was the leader of his profession in Quebec, serving may terms as president and legislative representative.

Lloyd McPhail, D.C. studied chiropractic at Palmer School of Chiropractic and graduated in 1926. He represented Manitoba on the Dominion Council and on the Board of Directors of CMCC. He was a key figure in changing the association name to CCA in 1945. In 1950 he was elected president and held that position until 1955.

Fred Wallace, D.C. represented the Maritimes provinces at the first meeting of the Dominion Council and was a founding Board Member of CMCC. He served in both capacities very effectively for number of years.

John S. Burton, LLB., started practicing law in Vancouver in 1928. His first profession was law, his second was most certainly chiropractic. He was the most knowledgeable layman in matters pertaining to chiropractic. He worked endless hours and travelled extensively with Dr. Walter Sturdy in the early ‘40s, when Dr. Sturdy and the other leaders were creating the Dominion Council of Chiropractors and the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College.

Samuel F. Sommacal, D.C. A 1911 graduate of the RCI, he became active in Ontario Chiropractic Association work. He served on the organizing committee for CMCC, 1943-1946 and became the third Chairperson/President of the Board of Governors from 1947 to 1951.